Thinning hair can have such an impact on a person, it can cause stress, anxiety and loss of self esteem, making you feel like you’d do anything to remedy the situation. Making a rash decision on a hair transplant can have diabolical consequences for a number of reasons. Firstly, the result can be unnatural looking, you may have a low follicle survival rate and worse still, so much damage can be done to the donor area that corrective surgery may not be a possibility.
Making the right decision on your hair transplant provider from the beginning is so important – to get a natural looking result and to protect the donor area from trauma. In this article we explain the difference between FUT, FUE and the DHI methods and why DHI stand head and shoulders above the industry in terms of process, quality and results.
Different Methods Explained
A hair transplant involves taking healthy hair follicles (from an area resistant to balding) and implanting them into the treatment area. Both the extraction phase and implantation phase are equally important. The key difference between FUT and FUE techniques are how the donor hair follicles are extracted. We explain below:
FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant) is one traditional technique where a long thin strip of scalp is removed, typically from lower down on the back of the head. The hair follicles are then divided into single units under a microscope. The scalp from where the strip was removed is then sewn back together. It is a cheaper form of hair transplant as the extraction phase is quicker than alternative techniques, however it leaves a significant scar that can be seen under short hair and if you are prone to keloid scarring, it can cause a very noticeable scar where the strip was removed.
FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) is another traditional technique where a punch is used to make a small circular cut in the skin around a hair follicle or group of follicles, removing them from the scalp, leaving a small open hole. The process is repeated until the surgeon has enough follicles to cover the treatment area. The holes heal to tiny white scars throughout the donor area and can be undetectable depending on the skill of the surgeon. These scars heal quicker and are less visible than FUT.
DHI extraction could be referred to as a micro-FUE as it doesn't involve cutting into patients skin and only punches with diameter of 1mm or less are used to extract hairs one by one from the donor area. This minimally invasive DHI extraction is always done 100% by a certified surgeon ensuring consistency and high quality.
With both the FUT and FUE options, follicles are implanted the same way, by creating reception holes in the treatment area and placing the hair follicles into the holes with forceps, allowing little control over the angle, direction and depth. Implantation is normally done by technicians, not by a surgeon. With these traditional techniques, the focus is on how many follicles are extracted and little or no emphasis on follicle survival rate after implantation, which is crucial.
The video and image below help to show the difference with Direct Hair Implantation - allowing for precise control over the depth and direction of the hair follicles which is why DHI can guarantee natural results.
The DHI hair transplant technique (Direct Hair Implantation) is a tested and standardised method, which takes the best approach in every step of the procedure to ensure maximum patient comfort, no scarring and 100% natural looking results. We, at DHI Australia are so confident in our technique that we guarantee natural results.
What Makes The DHI Technique Superior?
1) Procedures are done by a DHI Certified Doctor, not technicians
- on-going training and certification through London Hair Restoration Academy ensures consistency and quality
2) Minimum handling of hair follicles results in high survival rate
- achieving constantly over 90% survival rate vs industry rates that fluctuate between 50-90%
- less donor hairs needed
- this is important as only the surviving hair is worth paying for
- no scalpels
- no stitches
- virtually pain free
- no detectable scarring
- short recovery time (you may even return to work the next day)
- While hair follicles are out of patients body, they are kept in special preservative solution (HypothermosolTM) that is commonly used in organ transplants. This is important for consistency in the hair survival rate from patient to patient.
- DHI are the only hair restoration clinics in Australia that use HypothermosolTM in hair transplants. This sustains the survival rate of the hairs up to 100%.
5) Natural results GUARANTEED
- implantation of the hair follicles happens with a special tool, the DHI Implanter, which allows our specialist DHI doctor to control the angle, direction and depth of the implanted hair unlike any other technique.
- your results are guaranteed to look natural
If you are considering a hair transplant, come in and see the hair restoration experts at DHI for a consultation. We can give you an accurate diagnosis for your hair loss and answer any questions you have. Simply click on one of the buttons below to book a consultation or ask a question. Alternatively, you can give DHI a call on 1300 787 563.